What exactly is Seechewal Model ?
The Punjab like other states of India and the whole world today is facing a great environmental crisis. Ground water level of Punjab is depleting rapidly. All the natural water resources are polluted due to the dumping of untreated and poisonous industrial and domestic wastage into them. As a result of this, people at large are suffering from deadly diseases. Sant Balbir Singh Singh Seechewal has devised "Seechewal model", a simple pipe and pump formula, as an effective solution to this serious problem. It has been implemented at many places including village Seechewal and Sultanpur Lodhi. In fact it has been termed as 'Seechewal Model' by the Government of India. It has been adopted as a model for cleaning the Ganga apart from other rivers of India. Before this, the Government of India dwelled on the other countries for assistance- financial as well as technical. After all such efforts had failed, the need for searching alternatives was sorely felt. This model is a result of collective efforts of people involved in the karsewa of the Holy Kali Bein under the guidance of Sant Balbir Singh Seechewal.
A. Seechewal Model to Keep Villages Clean and Green
1. The water from the village sewerage system is collected in a pond.
2. A filter-mash is used to remove objects floating on the surface of water.
3. Then the polluted water is taken into three separate wells. In the first well the silt from the sewerage is removed. In the second, fats, oil and ghee are taken away.
4. The third well conveys the thus cleaned water in to the main pond.
5. The water collected in the pond is cleaned with sun rays.
6. On the banks of the pond, on opposite side of the three wells, a motor pump is installed to lift the treated water to send it to fields for irrigation.
7. Plantation around treatment plant,
B. Seechewal Model to keep rivers clean
Today, almost all rivers in India are polluted due to the Industrial and domestic wastage being throwninto them. The plight of Guru Nanak Dev Ji's Holy Kali Bein was same when Sant Seechewal along his followers took the task to clean the river in July 2000. Now the river is clean and its water is drinkable as a result of the efforts of the Sangat. Rivers and streams all around the world can be kept clean by adopting this model. According to this model:
1. Industrial and domestic wastage is not thrown Into rivers.
2. Treatment plants of sufficient capacity are installed in villages and Cities.
3. After treatment the water is used for irrigation.
4. Thick layers of silt are removed in order to promote water table recharge.
5. Plantation on the banks of the rivers for their beautification.
Benefits of Seechewal Model:-
1. Seechewal model is easy to install and operate.
2. It is very effective in keeping environment and natural water resources neat and clean.
3. The method of treatment of polluted water is aerobic and eco-friendly.
4. The water thus treated is recycled for use in agriculture, which promotes organic farming.
5. It saves a lot of agricultural expenditure on fertilizers.
6. Underground pipelines laid for conveying treated waters to fields do away with open rains that nourish flies and mosquitoes. It checks diseases.
7. It promotes water table recharge.
Successful implementation of Seechewal Model
1. In Seechewal village (Distt. Jalandharr), the first implementation site of Seechewal Model, treated water is being used in 17 acres of land.
2. In Sultanpur Lodhi (Distt. Kapurthala) treated water of the town is being used for irrigation of more than 750 acres of land through a 13 KM long pipe-line.
3. In Dasuya (District Hoshiapur) the treated water is being used for irrigation of 400 acres of agricultural land through 5 Km long pipe –line.
4. The model is implemented in almost 45 villages situated along the Holy Bein. The treated water is being used for irrigation.
5. In about 50 villages of Doaba and Malwa regions of Punjab, which are situated even away from the Holy Bein, this model is being implemented.
6. Under the 'Ganga Mission', the national movement to clean the holy river of India, this model is being implemented in 1650 village in five states along the river.
Seechewal Model is a model of prosperity. It preserves natural sources, saves ground water, saves elnergy, decreases the spread of diseases, saves expenditure of farmers and brings more profit to them, promotes organic farming and is also very economical. More and more people are turning to it. It is sure to save the natural resources and ecology of our earth if adopted honestly.
Before The Karsewa
After The Karsewa